Foxit Reader allows users to share the currently opened PDF file by email as an attachment.
- Open the PDF file that you want to share with Foxit Reader.
- Click Share > Email Current Tab.
- The PDF file will be attached in the email automatically in your default e-mail application. Then input the e-mail address and send it.
Tip: Before sharing a PDF file via email, you need to configure the email on your Mac device first.
Foxit Reader has been integrated with Microsoft SharePoint, which helps you better manage and share PDFs.
Open PDFs in SharePoint Repository
By default, Foxit Readerwill let you choose how to open the document every time you open a PDF file from SharePoint. To specify how to open a document by default, please go to File tab (or Foxit Reader in the menu bar) > Preferences > ECM Integration, and check the following option as needed in the SharePoint group.
- Open only: Open the PDF without checking out. This will allow other users to modify the PDF file at the same time when you are working on it.
- Check out and Open: Open and check out the PDF files from the server so that other users cannot edit the file at the same time.
- Allow you to choose when opening the document: Let you choose the way to open the document from SharePoint server. If you check this option, a dialog box will pop up when you open the document. In the dialog box, you can choose to open or check out and open the document as desired. This option is checked by default.
- Choose File in the Ribbon > Open > Add a place, and click Add under the Microsoft SharePoint group.
- In the Add dialog box, enter the SharePoint URL, and click Next to continue.
- In the pop-up dialog box, enter the account and the password to sign in. When you have signed in successfully, the URL address will be listed in the Open group on the File tab for your easier access.
- Double-click the file that you want to open, and the Foxit Reader dialog box will pop up by default for you to choose how to open the file.
- Choose Open to open the file without checking out.
- Choose Check Out and Open to open the file and check it out from the SharePoint server.
- (Optional) Check Don't ask me again to bypass the pop-up Foxit Reader dialog box in the future and use your current choice as the default way to open a PDF from the SharePoint server.
Tip: You can specify the default way to open a file from SharePoint in SharePoint Preferences.
Edit Document Properties
To check and edit the document properties of a PDF file opened from the SharePoint server, please do the following:
- Click Share > Document Properties.
- In the Document Properties dialog box, you will find the file path and document properties. To edit a document property, double-click the column name, and edit the value in the Edit text box.
- Upon completion, click OK to confirm your edits. And click Check In in the Share tab to save the PDF file and check it in to the SharePoint server.
Check Out, Discard Check Out, or Check In PDF Files
You can change the document status when working with PDF files in the SharePoint server.
- Click Share.
- Do any of the following:
- If you open a PDF from SharePoint without checking out but need to edit it, it is recommended to choose Check Out in the Share tab to check out the file so that users cannot modify it when you are working on it.
- If you want to cancel the check-out status and discard the changes you made to the PDF file, click Discard Check Out in the Share tab.
- When you complete your edits, click Check In in the Share tab to save the PDF file and check in back to the SharePoint repository. When checking in a file, you can select a version number (if version numbering is enabled) for the modified document and specify the version comments. If you still need to work with the PDF file after checking in and do not allow other users to modify the document, please remember to check the Keep the document checked out after checking in this version option in the Check In dialog box.
Save Local PDF Files to SharePoint Repository
To save a local PDF file to SharePoint in Foxit Reader, please do the following:
- If you did not add the SharePoint server in Foxit Reader before, click Add a place and choose Add under the Microsoft SharePoint to add the SharePoint server first.
- Choose File > Save as to open the Save As PDF dialog box.
- In the Save As PDF dialog box, do the following:
- Choose the SharePoint URL address, and select Shared Documents folder.
- Specify the file name in the File field, if necessary.
- Click Save.
About PDF Review
Foxit Reader supports two kinds of PDF review: shared review and email review. With Foxit Reader (V4.0 or later), you can easily join a PDF view, share the comments, and track reviews. In a shared review, you can make comments, share and track reviews via a server. While in an email review, you can make comments and send the reviewed PDF back to the initiator as an email attachment.
Join a Shared Review
- Download the document and open it with Foxit Reader.
- If it is your first time opening a shared review document, you will be prompted for your identity information.
- Enter an account name and password for the shared folder where the shared review document is located.
- A message bar appears in the application window with three options: Check for New Comments, Publish Comments and a menu with several commands.
- You can add your comments using annotation tools and then click Publish Comments to publish your comments which will be saved to the shared server.
- Check For New Comments allows you to view comments made by the initiator or other reviewers. You can also reply to the comments. In normal situations, comment publishing and checking will happen automatically. Foxit Reader supports to configure the interval to check for new comments by selecting a length of time in the File tab (or Foxit Reader in the menu bar) > Preferences > Reviewing > Automatically check for new comments.
- Click Menu:
Track Reviews – To track all reviews you participated in, which is very useful when you are involved in multiple reviews. See also Review Tracker.
Save As Archive Copy – Saves a copy of the document with review comments to your hard drive when the review has ended.
Join an Email Review
The recipients can download the document sent from the initiator and open it with Foxit Reader, add their comments and click Send Comments button in the message bar to send their comments back to the initiator.
Likewise, you can manage your reviews by using the Tracker. See also Review Tracker.
Foxit Reader provides a tracker to help you track reviews easily. Choose Share > Tracker, and then you can view the file name, deadline, number of comments, and the list of reviewers for the shared reviews or email reviews you have joined.